Pfc Shane M. Reifert

Pfc Shane M. Reifert
Shane during a sweep of the Shuryak Valley, approximately 3 weeks before he was killed. Photo Credit: PFC Sean Stromback

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

“Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death.”

I had an (almost) normal day today. I wore earrings and jeans instead of a pair of Shane's sweatpants and a hoodie. I went to school. I talked with some professors. Walked in the rain to lunch with two of my friends. Felt actual hunger. Ate food without feeling like I was going to vomit. Laughed at jokes because I thought they were funny, not because I was abiding by social cues. Talked on the phone with another friend without mentioning Shane. Actually studied for a final exam instead of pretending that shuffling through papers is sufficient. 

And now, as the day is coming to a close and I sit in my apartment alone, I feel an overwhelming sense of guilt over this almost normal day.  I feel guilty that I wasn't mourning all day. I feel guilty for not thinking of Shane non-stop. I feel guilty that I got to be alive today to have an almost normal day. I feel guilty for feeling guilty, because I know that Shane wouldn't want me to waste my time feeling this way. Shane always told me that I needed to stop worrying so much, that I needed to not be in my head so much. And I'm really trying to still follow his advice. But as I sit here, I find it impossible to follow. I recognize that I need to find a way to live an actual life without an overwhelming sense of guilt every night. But I also know that it's been less than a month since Shane was killed, and that for now, it's okay to feel guilty.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the guilt it really is a biotch! One day at a time girl it is all you can do!
    Oh and Happy Shark Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,
    Keep on, keep on and know that we are thinking about you and your mom and dad daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. guilt will happen. it still happens. guilt for just living, for laughing and just being. it sucks!! i'm 15 months out now and still.. every breathing moment i have, i am thinking of my brother. he is every thought i have but on the side.. my thoughts are side by side. half is my brother and half is now. it will be like that for ..... who knows. hugs. sorry for your loss again. jess

    ReplyDelete