Pfc Shane M. Reifert

Pfc Shane M. Reifert
Shane during a sweep of the Shuryak Valley, approximately 3 weeks before he was killed. Photo Credit: PFC Sean Stromback

Sunday, November 6, 2011

How do you measure, measure a year?

Sunday, November 06, 2011, has finally arrived.

The morning began with a magnificent sunrise – the sky awash with pink and orange. There is frost on the ground with the mist slowly rising; just as I arise today to discover the beauty that surrounds me. I am so very, very fortunate to be surrounded by a truly loving family and a compassionate group of friends.

Am I sad today? Of course, but I will not let that sadness consume me. Actually, yesterday was the brutal day because in my world I measure in weeks. And yesterday was 52 weeks to the day that the fatal news was delivered. It was a day, which I already knew in my heart, that when I arrived home there would be Army personnel in my driveway. It was a day I sat frozen in my Jeep. It was a day in which I had to call Kurt to come home. It was a day in which I had to call Beth to come home. It was a day and night to be in shock and disbelief making all the calls to family and friends.

Today I will take my sadness and tuck it in a back pocket. Instead, I will try and find the beauty in this world. I will look for moments of quiet tenderness and smiles.

I will cherish the memories of Shane.

I will still believe that there is still more good in the world than bad.

I will still ask why, why was such a good soul taken so young? I don’t think I will ever find the answer to that question.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred moments so dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
~ “Seasons of Love’

I will measure this year in sadness and love

Peace-
Always and forever,
Shane’s Mammy and Beth’s Momma






2 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully written. It touched my heart. I have not forgotten. Though I never met him, I will remember your Shane for the rest of my life through your writings. Sending love to you and your family today, Ms. Zanni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for your words. They paint a good picture of the heart.

    ReplyDelete